WWPD
WWPD
WWPD
WWPD
WWPD
WWPD
WWPD
WWPD

Monday, November 19, 2012

Tom's Vikings


My Vikings
Here are some pics of my viking army.  (I figure it can also do double-duty as Anglo-Saxons, Anglo-Danes and Jormvikings.)  Most of the figures are Wargames Factory plastic Vikings, but the central figures are the Eureka Miniatures metal Beowulf and Retinue pack.

The Warband

I've grouped the warband into groups of eight or 12, and colored the bases.  There are 16 blue-based Warriors.  The white unit and the red unit can be used as Hearthguard or Warriors as needed.  There are 12 archers for my Levy.  I've mounted the Warlord on a big base with some followers.

Call me "ibn."

These are the Eureka figures. They represent Beowulf and his retinue from the Eaters of the Dead/13th Warrior, which is based loosely on ibn Fadhlan's account of his journies in Central Asia, where he met some Vikings.  The book (and worse movie) have ibn Fadhlan following a warleader who beats up on some cavemen and gives us the legend of Beowulf.  There are so many things wrong with this history, I can't even list them all. But the figs are cool, if anachronistic in their mix of armaments.  Ibn Fadhlan is the green guy with the spear.


The Archers
The Warriors

Here are my core figures, by Wargames Factory.  I used a pretty simple painting technique.  I picked my core colors -- a light green, a dark and a grey blue, a red, and a mustard yellow.  Then I painted a bit of each onto about ten figures, mixing them up with each color, so that there were different colors on each model.  I then highlighted them with lighter colors in a single layer.  Any left over spaces I left black or painted a dark or light brown, again with a highlight.  Metal got a single layer, and flesh got two layers with a wash.  The shield designs are mostly halves, quartering, crosses, or triskele-y things.  I tried to avoid swastikas -- the Vikings had them historically, but the Nazi associations make them just too creepy.

My Warlord.

My warlord is on a freaking huge Warhammer 40k base, and I did some putty work to make the raven banner.  I have some smaller Warlord models I haven't painted yet, in case this base proves excessive.

Top Posts Within 30 Days

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...